Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 16 and 17 (May 31 and June 1)

     Today, May 31, we did a bus tour of different spots in Santorini. We started by going to the traditional village of Megalochori in Santorini. It wasn't what I expected, they looked like all of the other villages just less people. That, however, was because it isn't the peak season for tourism so most of the people are only working in Fira, the capital. Don't get me wrong the village was beautiful, but I was expecting something really old. Then we went to the Black Beach. We ate lunch and hung out on the beach. Literally all the sand/rocks were black with bright blue water. It was truly a site to see, so pretty, but don't dare walk on the sand without shoes on...OUCH!!! I swear I felt like I had 3rd degree burn on the bottoms of my feet and all I did was run, literally RUN, from my chair to the water! We took some pretty cool pictures here, like me jumping in the air and I look like I'm 10 feet off the ground! So cool! We got to just lay out on the beach for a little while before we ventured onto our next location, which was the Red Beach. After the Black Beach I was so excited to see the Red Beach, but it wasn't really what I expected. Our bus was too big to drive down the narrow streets so we got dropped off 10-15 minutes away from the beach and we had to hike to the Red Beach. I use the term hike as just that, hike, with old people in the hot sun! Once we finally saw the beach  we were on top of a pier looking down onto the sea and the beach. It took our breath away. I'm not sure if it was the beauty of the scenery or the fact that the only way to get down to the actual beach was to do more hiking, mind you I was in a dress and flip flops, I didn't really think out my choice of clothing for that day very well! So me and two others though well we made it this far we want to get in the water! Our tour guide told us we have about 10 minutes until we should make the hike back to the bus. So we hiked down the lava rock, really the lava rock that's what makes it red,  to the beach and kicked off our flip flops and start to run to the water. Once you take about two steps on this lava rock you quickly notice that it is rather sharp and doesn't feel very well on the bottom of your feet. Our run quickly changed to a tip toe painful 5 feet to the water. Nonetheless, it was beautiful with the red rocks against the blue water. From the pier it looked like there was blood in the water along the shore. Very cool, I think! We didn't have time to swim, which is what we really wanted to do but at least I can say I stepped foot on the Red Beach. After the Red Beach we drove to the highest point on the Island in the village of Peristera. It was crazy how high up we were, and even crazier how our mega bus made it up the hairpin turns! A few old people were shouting "these are our last days AAAHHHHH!!" That was pretty funny, but back to the mountain. You could see all the different plots of land, which isn't necessarily what you think of when you think of Santorini. We got to see more of the countryside up there and it was gorgeous! However, there were so many bugs up there that I was sick to my stomach! I'm sure I looked absolutely ridiculous trying to walk from one side of the mountain to the other freaking out trying to get the bugs off of me! If only we had that on camera! I'm sure you can imagine! We didn't stay there long! From there we went to see a spot where they once had a castle. It was in the village of Pygros. There wasn't much there to see, but had great views! After that we went to the winery called Santos Winery. They gave us a tour on how the wine is made and where they keep it. Then we got to sample 3 different types of wine. The first one was a white wine that was very fruity, the second one was a white wine that was really sweet, and the third one was a dessert wine made from sun-dried grapes that was very very sweet! I didn't prefer any of them mostly because I like dry red wine, thank you Mom, but I still thought it was cool to see. The winery overlooked the caldera so it had amazing views! I did buy a bottle of red wine to try when I get home, even though they aren't known for their red wines...we'll see!
     Today, June 1, we traveled by speed ferry from Santorini to Mykonos. Mykonos is supposed to be very expensive so I am a little nervous! I mean we have to pay to go to the beach! Good thing we have a very nice hotel with a free pool! That is where I am headed now and thats really what I plan on doing all day. Mykonos is known for its beaches and partying. I might skip the beaches and go for the partying. Don't worry Mom and Jordan it is the gay capital of the world! I'll let you all know how that goes tomorrow! Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment