Monday, May 30, 2011

Days 14 and 15 (May 29-30)

     Today, May 29, I woke up to Jacee nearly burning down our hotel. I'm just kidding but she started to blow dry her hair and she blew a fuse! It was really funny to see her freak out. That day we went to the Minoan Palace of Knossos. It is the legendary home of King Minos mythical Minotar. It was uncovered in the 1920's and work has been done to reconstruct it to the previous state. The first palace was destroyed by an earthquake and rebuilt around 1700 BC. It was really interesting to see, especially because we don't know if that is really what it looked like. We also went to a museum and most of it was closed due to reconstruction, but it was still interesting. I think the most interesting thing we saw was a statue from 1st century BC and one from 2nd century AD and to see how much the technique improved. AMAZING! After that Erica, Meghan, Matt, Steph, Jenna, and I all walked around the island. We went down to the beach and walked along the pier. I found a new best friend during the walk. He was a big dog and he followed us the entire way, I named him Zeus and I love him! He was so hungry and thirsty and I felt so bad for him! We gave him some water and we finally saw him eating some trash. He would run ahead of us and stop until we would catch up and start walking ahead again. He reminded me of my childhood dog bubba. I miss Zeus and he really made me miss my little dog, Lanie! We went back to the restaurant we ate at the night before and I ate a grilled cheese and tomato soup, haha! During dinner we got free beer and the protest was in full force. There were so many people at the protest and they had bands playing and everything! It was so cool! We found out that the police don't interfere because they are feeling the reprimand of the Euro as well. Pretty interesting...
     Today, May 30, we traveled by speed ferry again to Santorini. We pulled into the caldera and it was picturesque. We went to lunch and walked around the capital for awhile. Then a few of us went to the village of Oia, which is where they filmed the movie Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. It was so pretty, the houses were all white with blue doors. I don't understand why they are like that I want to know what the significance is, but for now I don't know. Our bus dropped us off at the top of the hill which I was kind of disappointed because if they would have dropped us off at the bottom then we could have rode a donkey up the 263 stairs to the top. The views were so amazing!!! Tomorrow we are taking a bus tour and going to see some villages and the red beach and black beach and I'm so excited!!!! Until the next time I can share with you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment