Tuesday, May 17, 2011

First Two days in Istanbul

     Arriving in Istanbul I had very high expectations of my trip and everything that I will see and do. As my new friends and I walked down the streets I was surprised to see how romantic this place was. It is so intimate with couples holding hands strolling down the streets only to stop for a sweet little kiss. Truly beautiful! The scenery is just as beautiful as the people, if not more. With side streets that go straight up a tall hill and shops stacked on top of each other and a view of the ocean that would take your breath away, I knew that I wasn't in Charleston, Illinois anymore! As we walked we got hungry, but not knowing the language we were confused were to go and so many people shouting "Here! This is were you want to go!" we really looked like a bunch of lost puppies! However, we were still hungry and needed to eat. We didn't want to sit down at some place that would be too expensive so we decided to go where the majority of the people were at. Our waiter was very nice and helpful, he talked us into sharing a huge plate of several different kinds of meats and a few vegetables. There were two different kinds of chicken one kabob and one on the bone, I didn't try the one on the bone because I don't like it, there was steak kabob, meat balls, and lamb. I tried lamb for the first time and I said it tasted like the way Long John Silvers smells...I'm not sure how that is but that is all I could come up with. Maybe the smell of the stray cats pee filled the air along with other food cooking and ocean in the background, but I'm not sure! Although, I actually did like the lamb better than the meatballs, and no they weren't actually in ball form either...weird! Oh and the humus...SO GOOD!!!!
    My initial reaction to Turkey and Istanbul was excitement followed by relief because we had finally made it! I was very surprised how nice the people were here, well really the men they are really all that I've actually talked to besides our tour guide who is really nice and very beautiful! I was also surprised with how busy Istanbul is. I guess I didn't really think of it as this busy. I love all of the history and culture that you feel when you are here. I mean we have studied all of these places before in school but today I actually reached out and touched the marble of the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia! So, I guess my real initial reaction was surprised. I didn't know what Turkey would be like. The men are so very outspoken and the women are very quiet, again besides our tour guide. It also surprised me how different the women were. There are women covered head to toe and then there is my tour guide in a brown tank top and her long hair blowing in the wind! Today, we went to the Blue Mosque and we had to cover our heads and our shoulders out of respect. Our group was actually the only group that did just that. Our professor told us that some people actually thanked her that we did that and were surprised with how polite us young Americans were! That made me very proud to show other countries that not all Americans are ignorant and rude. We also went to the Hippodome, which was once a huge stadium in Byzantine Constantinople built in the third century A.D. There is an obelisk, which is Egyptian, in the stadium and has Hieroglyphics on it. It was very unique and very interesting, I want to learn more about what it was for. We went to the Haghia Sophia, which was once a Christian Church, then turned into a Mosque, and restored and turned into a museum. There they have a wishing wall and you have to stick your thumb inside of a hole in one of the pillars and make a wish, but for it to come true you have to make you hand go all the way around to the same spot...I did it! My wish better come true! We went to the Spice Bazaar, that was very interesting! A man forced my friends and I to eat chocolate and gave us free apple tea all because he was in love with one of the girls, Jenna, and he wasn't the only one! Our last stop was the Chora Church. There were beautiful murals and frescoes on the ceilings. They had to paint the pictures because in the 11th century many people couldn't read so that is how they told the stories of the bible. It was very interesting and beautiful! We ate at a restaurant called Hamdi Restorant and I didn't realized but I ate lamb again! This time I actually liked it! Well off to diner!

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea that lamb tastes the way Long John Silver's smells. That's priceless!

    ReplyDelete